Housing is a joint responsibility of all levels of government. Federal and Provincial provide the funding and the Region and the Cities provide the associated planning policies and programs.
Housing should be seen as a right and available on an affordable basis. Not having stable accommodation can be a root cause for many other issues including health, education, crime, etc.
The Region is known to be a leader in Ontario for its innovative housing programs. However, there never is enough funding to satisfy the need.
- We must continue to lobby the senior level governments for additional sustainable funding
- We need the Province to provide new sources of revenue for housing and municipal infrastructure
- Use surplus Regional land as candidate sights for affordable housing projects eg. Charles Street terminal once vacated for new HUB.
- Support city planning policies that make affordable housing projects more sustainable for private developers
- Promote Rent Geared to Income units in existing and future projects
- Continue to support the various Housing Stabilization programs underway