Curbside waste pickup, recycling and green bin for residential properties is one of the mainstay services that the Region provides. A community’s sustainability index is greatly influenced by these activities among others. We should be able to deal with all our waste locally and avoid exporting to other locations. Building bigger or new landfills is not the answer; rather reducing waste and diverting waste is the answer.
- We must expand the curbside recycling program to include additional items
- We must continue to promote the use of the Green Bin and expand the service to other housing types
- We need to promote new legislation that requires more accountability in consumer packaging
- Continue to promote waste diversion to reduce landfill placement so that a new landfill site is put off indefinitely
- Waste Management needs to be looked at more as a business or utility in order to operate in the marketplace